Since I’ve gone Primal, many aspects of my life have changed for the better. The most notable being my digestion, my body composition, and my overall mental well-being. One aspect I have continued to struggle with, however, is my skin.
Prior to going Primal I was on antibiotic acne medication. For the year or so that I took this medication, I had near-perfect skin. Yet, things that seem too good to be true often are. While researching Primal nutrition I started to understand how much damage antibiotics can do to your body, especially when taking them daily.
- Kill off your good bacteria in the process of killing the bad. Now I know why I used to be so infection-prone…
- Cause antibiotic resistance. So in the future if I needed to take antibiotics for a life-threatening illness, they would be less effective since I had taken them so long for acne.
Unfortunately when I stopped taking the antibiotics my acne came back almost immediately… and my improved diet seemed to have little to no positive effect. Here is a picture of my skin on a “good day” back in September 2011.
A couple of months ago I decided to start trying the Oil Cleansing Method that I had heard about from Cave Girl Eats. It basically says that commercial skin care products used to “fight acne” usually make your skin worse by stripping away your skin’s natural oils. This is a viscous cycle because your skin then over-produces oil, and this over-production leads to clogged pores.
The benefits of cleaning your skin with oil are:
- Oil dissolves oil. By using oil to cleanse your skin you will actually dissolve away the oil that is clogging your pores.
- Your body naturally produces oil for a reason. Oil lubricates, heals, protects, and moisturizes your skin. Cleansing with it has the same benefits.
I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method to wash my face about 3-4 times a week for the past 2 months or so and have noticed a huge improvement in my skin. Here is a picture of my skin taken last week (May 2012) on another “good day.”
As you can see, my skin is still far from perfect, but personally I think it looks a LOT better. And it feels a lot better too. I highly recommend the Oil Cleansing Method for those suffering from acne as well as those who just want an all-natural and inexpensive alternative to commercial face wash.
Oil Cleansing Method, All-Natural Face Wash:
- A soft washcloth
- Your oil blend (1 part castor oil, 4 parts sunflower seed oil)
- Hot running water
Rub a quarter size of the oil blend over your face and then massage it deeply into your pores. After you’ve thoroughly massaged the blend into your skin take your washcloth and soak it in the hot running water. It’s very important that the water is hot; cold water will not open up your pores. Then take the washcloth and press it against your face until it cools. Repeat soaking the washcloth in hot water and holding it against your face until the oil blend is completely removed from your skin. Note: I usually do this in the shower, where you have easy access to lots of hot water.