I first heard about using baking-soda as an exfoliant from Fran Kerr, writer of HighonHealth.org
She recommended gently massaging it into your skin, once a day, by mixing it in with a creamy facial cleanser. The process seemed simple enough… so I decided to give it a try. For the past several months I have been washing my face with a calming facial cleanser, then exfoliating with baking soda (without washing off the facial cleanser), and then using a little more calming facial cleanser to wash everything off. Since starting this routine I have noticed a significant improvement in my skin. I highly recommend that you try it! 😀
Here are five reasons why baking-soda makes a great exfoliant:
- It’s All-Natural. Most commercial brands of exfoliants list over 20 different ingredients including chemicals, dye, and fragrance. Baking-soda lists one: Sodium Bicarbonate, which is found naturally in nature.
- It’s Affordable. Go onto drugstore.com and search “exfoliator.” Over 11 pages of products will come up, all of them ranging within $4 and $75. Now go to your local Trader Joe’s and find the baking soda… it costs 99 cents. That’s 25% of the cost of the cheapest commercial brand available… let alone the more expensive ones. Baking-soda is by far the most affordable option.
- It’s Gentle. Baking-soda can be used every day without irritating your skin. That’s because it’s a powdery substance, unlike many commercial brands which contain sharp, abrasive grains that can actually cause more harm to your skin than good.
- It has Healing Properties. Baking-soda is an anti-inflammatory substance, which means it can help prevent acne by calming your skin and also help reduce the appearance of acne scars.
And most importantly…
- It Works. I personally have noticed a significant improvement in my skin from using baking-soda as an exfoliant including: fewer breakouts, faster healing time, and less noticeable acne scars.