“Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.”
In order to successfully reach your goals: you need to make them, plan for them, and periodically assess your progress. Periodic goal assessments hold you accountable to your goals and allow you to reflect on your actions. They help you to see what you’re doing right, what you’re doing wrong, what you should continue doing, and what you need to change if you are going to successfully reach your goals.
At the beginning of this year I set 5 New Year’s Resolutions for myself. Since an entire month has already gone by, I thought it would be a good time to assess if my plan of action is actually helping me reach my goals.
Goal 1: Be a better dresser
- This month I tried to pay more attention to the details. I got two pairs of pants professionally tailored and made an effort to be wearing at least 2 accessories with my outfits… and people noticed! I’ve even gotten several compliments in the past few weeks.
- Next month: I want to find more distinct ways to style my hair.
Goal 2: Go outside more
- I honestly kind of forgot about this goal. I realized this about a week ago and since then I’ve managed to go on a trail run with my roommate and yesterday I walked to the grocery store instead of driving. But I could definitely use some improvement on this one…
- Next month: I want to visit a state park and take advantage of the free bike rentals that my apartment offers.
Goal 3: Stop drinking so much
- I’m proud to say I have successfully cut back my drinking this month! I managed to consistently have no more than 3 drinks a night. My body hates me so much less after nights out, and I’ve been having just as much fun – if not even more.
- Next month: I want to keep doing what I’ve been doing
Goal 4: Stop spending all my weekends in a bar
- I’ve been to several bars in the past month… but I also managed to visit lots of fun, new places! I organized a bowling night with my friends, went to The National Gallery of Art, tried indoor rock climbing, and went to see a live belly-dancing performance.
- Next month:I want to keep doing what I’ve been doing
Goal 5: Grow my faith (specifically: go to church at least twice a month and read through the bible by next year)
- I did it! I got my butt to church twice this month! And I managed to read through the Gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). That’s 4 out of 66 books in the whole Bible.
- Next month: Go to church at least twice and read 6 more books of the Bible.