This weekend I celebrated Thanksgiving a little early with my family. While my parents were trying to deep-fry the turkey…trying being the key word in this sentence… I was asked to make a side dish.
Spiced Glazed Carrots:
- 2 bunches of thin carrots (2 lb.), cut into 1″ pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Sherry, divided
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
Bring carrots, butter, 1/2 tsp. salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 7–8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots to a medium bowl.
Add orange juice, 1 Tbsp Sherry, and ground cloves to skillet and cook until glaze forms, 7–8 minutes. Stir in carrots and remaining 1 Tbsp Sherry. Season carrots to taste with salt.